View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 01:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Nice attempt to tangent off this thread. Fell free to spin off a new thread with that question.

I am not surprised at the reaction I have received here. Yes prices go up, sometimes they go down. Sometimes Strava makes changes to features so that there is less value after a change, for example any segments remotely close to down hill were gutted a couple years ago. Some "features" don't work correctly and in spite of users turning off the "feature" it continues... again a couple years ago with Local Legend notification.

I seem to also recall a price increase a couple years ago.

Not like it really matters I used to be an annual subscriber, for years. I adopted the platform rather early in my area. A couple of years ago I cancelled. Last summer they offered a free (re)trial. I decided at the end that it was adding enough to pay for it. For me it is a matter of principal. If their reasoning is to increase annual subscriptions I can understand their perspective. I don't support such ploys. If the savings are enough then I will go for the less costly option, but only if I mostly agree with their ethics.

To the folks that say "why would anyone buy monthly?" Do you buy a dozen eggs at a time? one pound of burger or other small quantity of protein or do you buy the whole critter? Do you buy a 12 ounce package of bacon or the whole slab? I am going to guess that most buy small quantities of most every thing rather than bulk in spite of the fact that buying in bulk will save you money.
One might use the same metaphor to ask whether you buy your eggs one at a time, vs by the dozen. Do you buy a pound of burger, or just enough to make one burger? Or a single slice of bacon versus the package? Are you concerned that the Strava premium you buy will go bad in the fridge if you don't use it up in a timely fashion?

The other thing worth noting is that when you buy in bulk a la Costco, you pay less per pound or item, so you should expect to pay more for items purchased in smaller quantities.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles