Old 06-20-17, 09:33 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I am fairly new to track racing. I naturally set my track bike up to mimic my road fit, as that seemed like the most appropriate place to start. Now that I've got a little bit more experience under my belt, I am learning that is not the best position for track racing.

Does anyone have a more thorough explanation of how the fits are different? I get that it's generally longer and lower, but I would be curious to know, on average, how much longer and lower people are?
How long is a piece of string?

This is why I suggested comparing yourself to photos of faster/elite racers to mimic their positions as a starting point.

As Taras says, it's a process. Your fit will change several times even in the same 4 month season as you become more flexible and have usable power when being more aero.

Flexibility is very important. It's not just for injury prevention. When your muscles are stretched (even slightly) this inhibits their ability to perform the micro-recoveries that happen between each pedal stroke. If the muscle were longer, then going to that same low point would still allow them to relax fully and revitalize itself for the next pedal stroke.

To test this, get on a trainer or do a normal road ride while using a heart rate monitor. Ride at a steady pace in a comfortable position and note your heart rate. It will be, let's say 120bpm. Now lower back and bend over until you feel a slight tension in your muscles, you'll see that your heart rate begin to rise alarmingly, up to say 140bpm while maintaining the same cadence.

NOW, if you go and introduce a proper stretching routine to your training plan and do the same exercise a couple of weeks later, you'll see that your heart rate won't rise when you go to that same low position.

That is a quantifiable benefit of stretching.