Old 03-09-21, 08:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
first of all, great topic, and great intro too.

Happy, "beans, beans, the favorite fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot" (great photo btw)

Fish, thanks for the morning chuckle about the tortillas. Your story really connected with me, because those smallish bags of tortillas were a fav of mine to always have in my pannier on my Latin American trips, thin so fit in easily, I could put any old thing I felt like or had access to buying onto and into them, and they generally were an easy carb thing to have in the pannier if a lunch place didnt turn up, or as part of an emergency cache in the bottom of the pannier for a end of day meal if a town was just too dodgy to go out for supper, and/or for breakfast if limited stuff was available.
I began to notice that some brands kept a lot better than others, seems to me that the corn ones would get dried out and fall apart fairly quickly, so they were really best eaten very soon. Some of the (I guess) flour ones, like you found out, seemed to not be in the least bit perturbed by being in a frickin hot pannier for days, and still look and feel reasonable. I too forgot I had some a few times and found them a long time later, and at a certain point would decline to eat them, and just replace the bag.

They certainly had the advantage of being readily available, cheap, and not horrible even after a few days, but then, I'm not a fussy eater and when biking, I think all of us aren't fussy if we need gas in the tank, who cares what octane it is or if it comes out of a pump or sold in pop bottles at the side of the road (classic out of the way Latin American sight)

I'm sure I'll see some other good ideas here.