Old 07-05-21, 08:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sure. I've even done it to download routes.

But, if you need another phone to use your cycle computer as a (crappier) phone, why not just use the other phone?

To do what you are suggesting, you'd need a more-expensive cycle computer, a second cell phone plan, and still be stuck needing to carry the other cell phone. That's certainly possible but it makes little sense.

Also, you need a good data connection, which isn't always available. Voice-only connections are still much-more available. Plus, VOIP (which is what you are talking about) requires a fairly fast computer (which would increase the price of the cycle computer). The WiFi cycle computers support doesn't need to be particularly fast. VOIP requires a fast connection.
I’m not sure I follow what you’re talking about, but I am certain I am not suggesting anyone do anything. I was merely pointing out that getting phone service on a GPS head unit does not necessarily require another SIM card, and that the technology is present and functioning in millions of iPads and MacBooks across the globe.

It sounds like you are unfamiliar with that, so I’ll say again: if someone’s iPhone is on the same wifi network as their iPad (or Macbook), they can answer incoming and make outgoing calls using the mobile phone service. I’m almost positive it is not VOIP, as I recall it works when the iPad is tethered to the mobile phone hotspot when the phone is on cell data. It does not require a second cell phone plan.

In any case, as I stated plainly upthread, I think having phone on the GPS is a bad idea. I don’t care whether it adds cost, whether you can afford it, or that the service may be crappy, I just really don’t want people riding around, yapping distractedly on the phone any more than they do now. My group rides are already abuzz with phone call alerts and text alert, which I find irksome enough.