View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 01:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Sure, but multispeed is cycling engineering at it's finest.

I'm with you. There is a small park near my apartment that a lot of people ride to (casually), and I can't tell you how many "fixies" I see compared to geared bikes. And I put it in quotes, because the vast majority are actually single speeds.

But you have a 750 F1, and not everyone has such discerning taste. I'm just a scrub that actually thinks the 999 series is the best looking of the lot...

Right, but you can always ride a multispeed bike in the wrong gear, no? Is trying to decelerate with your legs such a good workout? Doesn't seem like the best idea from a physiological standpoint.

When I see people struggling to get over a bridge here (and not because they want to be struggling, but because they are genuinely having a hard time maintaining momentum), I usually say something along the lines of "that's why god invented gears," as I go past...
Sure. I do this all the time. I have a five minute hill where I'll alternate big and little rings. My point with the fixed gear is that it's something you deal with all the time and it becomes second nature to spin up to match a surge or to muscle over a short, steep roller. Broadening your power band. And you get used to keeping your pedals turning over even when you're soft-pedaling.
Likes For caloso: