View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 02:20 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Any geared bike that permits coasting... well, allows distracted riding that involves periodic coasting. Fixed doesn't allow that, and you have to concentrate more at certain times. Coasting geared bikes also make "clicky" sounds. And yes, modulating speed and power using only one's legs is part of the wonder of it.
I get the concept. I mean, I'm one of those people that knows (yes, knows) that driving stick is more enjoyable, involving and "pure" than driving an automatic. And I get that you are more directly connected to the road...

But the thought of using my legs to decelerate sounds a little unnatural and uncomfortable (as in, you are stressing joints in directions they normally aren't stressed in). Plus, my point what that the rear-derailleur is the hallmark of bicycle technology, and so one could argue that a pure bicycling experience should involve using one. Maybe the absolute purest is friction shifting?