View Single Post
Old 10-06-20, 01:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, It would definitely be a 1985 model, having being manufactured by Yamaguchi of Japan during November 1984. The 1985 Sasquatch was the top model in Norco's five model ATB line-up. The OEM derailleurs were the ill-fated SunTour Mountech. It looks like this one may have got tangled with some brush, as the mouth of the axle slot appears to be pried open a bit. The OEM saddle was a Vetta Maxi, while the OEM wheelset was Suzue LF hubs laced to Araya 7X rims. Factory colours were Pearl Silver, Candy Apple Red and Metaillic Black.
Thanks T-Mar, I was going to tag you at some point to ask about the rims and derailer. I thought they were as you describe and have sets very similar, if not the same. Intentionally going back to NOS vinyl saddles instead of nicer leather ones is always a quibble for me - depends on the rebuild focus. Do you think this stem was stock as listed or did they show a one piece welded chrome bullhorn design?

Originally Posted by ryansu
Very cool Project Happy Feet I recently picked up something similar; also 85/86, slack touring style geo, thumbies, bullmoose, biplane fork, made in Japan etc. I am going to ride mine in the clunker challenge before it becomes the winter tear down, Shogun Prairie breaker I
Nice! I was thinking of the clunker challenge too as $80 CAD is only $60 USD, so I'd have another $80CAD to upgrade. If I can (or rather am allowed to) swap straight across from two similar bikes for stem, saddle and rims, I think I can pull it off easily as most of this rebuild will require the labour to strip, repaint and work on the chrome work - plus a bearing/cable overhaul. Main cost as is will be new tires, grips and replacing that awesome derailer. But I wouldn't sacrifice aesthetics for the challenge if I can't swap so I'll consult the oracle.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-06-20 at 01:53 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet: