View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 11:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I might have to consider tubeless. So over two inches of that thing was embedded in your tire and you did not flat? I can see something like that making mincemeat out of a tube or even a tire. And you left it IN while completing the ride? Is it better to leave things embedded that remove them and allow the compound to fill in? As you might be able to tell, I know almost nothing about tubeless!!!!
Yep no flat, I was rather amazed myself. I called my wife at first, but she was with her mom, and figured it would take her longer to take her home and then go get my truck, than it would be to just ride home. I started to see if I could even slide it out before I headed home, but it was really jammed in the dead center of the tire, and it was not budging. So I left alone until I had some pliers to pull it out. Tropical downpours aplenty today and it was in one of these downpours when I picked this up and it made a hell of a racket, I thought something had been jammed between the wheel and the frame. I just did not see the thing as it was in a section of the road that had a lot of standing water that I had no choice but to ride through due to some traffic going by me. However, with all that said, I could have have completed the rest of my planned ride and I don't suspect I would have had any issues, but why play with fire.

This is the first instance that I know of where I have had anything breech the tire. I've only been using tubeless for a year, which is not much in the big scheme of things for a lot of people here. I am glad I left it in though, once I pulled it out, the sealant was not completely closing it up, and dynaplug took a little finagling to get it to stop the bleeding. But once I got that handled, it's fine now. I am still going to take the tire off tomorrow to inspect the rim and the inside of the tire to make sure all is good just do to the size of that thing.