Old 02-24-22, 07:29 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Perhaps the B group can offer to pay him not to join them. Or better still, just give him your bikes. And cars. And homes. No one has a right to ride with you. If you guys would rather sneak out than tell him so the group has bigger issues than an old guy (like me) on an e-bike.
I highlighted that statement. How do you propose to tell someone they have no right to ride with members of a club they have joined? For that matter, how could you tell a non-club member that you come up to along the road that they aren't allowed to jump in? You can tell them it's a club only ride, and due to insurance they would not be covered should they crash and be injured. The idea being, of course, that they don't cause the crash that injures any club members. If they still hang in, do you call the police? "Hey, officer, this guy riding a bike is riding with us riding bikes!" I'm sure SWAT will be dispatched right away.

For the record, I'm a C level rider (barely.) In my younger days I was much faster and participated in road racing and criteriums, so I know how to behave in a paceline, and can handle my bike elbow to elbow in a corner. Technically, I could arrive at a club ride and jump in with the A level riders, but I don't, because I know I would be dropped after a short time. I guess I could get an e-bike so I wouldn't be dropped, but why bother? At my current age (70) I'm happy cruising along with the Cs (sometimes the Ds, just to help out or ride sweep) conversing, enjoying the scenery and ride experience. I "dropped" my speed ego long ago.

The group has no issues with an 'old guy on an e-bike' riding with a group faster than his level of fitness IF he has the skills to do so. There is no legal way (that I'm aware of) to tell someone they can't ride with you, and having an entire group of riders not ride to avoid being taken out by one bad rider on his e-bike isn't really an option.