View Single Post
Old 07-02-21, 11:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I see mention of a mid-cage RD, which brings the question - how many sizes are offered? And how does one tell which size they have?

Research shows only two options: SS and GS. From this I was assuming the Tarmac must have the SS and the Roubaix the GS. ? Or is (was - 2018) there a third size ?

My Roubaix also has the Ultegra RD with 11-32 cassette. The Specialized spec page describes it as "Shimano Ultegra 8000, long cage, 11-speed..." But the specs for the Tarmac say only "Shimano Ultegra 8000, 11-speed..." The cage (which is the bracket with the two guide pulleys, right?) on the Tarmac is visibly shorter than the one on the Roubaix, perhaps a cm smaller.

thanks again...
Don't overlook or dismiss the 46/30T chainring combination for her bike. Several folks have offered this solution, and it's a valid one. Most bikes are geared WAY too high for the average rider, especially if your wife "spins" versus mashes.

(1) 46/30T crankset
(2) Wolf-tooth roadlink to lower the existing rear derailleur
(3) 32T cassette
(4) Shorten chain by 1"
(5) Lower front derailleur accordingly

She'll be set to go. Use this link to visualize the changes that you're contemplating.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator
Likes For Phil_gretz: