jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not sure what you are saying.
The act of taking a train while on a bike tour means you assisted your tour, to extend it in a manner that allowed you to do things you wouldn't have otherwise been able to do if you relied solely on a bike. It made it easier on you. The fact that you see no problem in using a train to supplement your legs means you did not do it under your own power, a train took you some distance to allow you to do something that you couldn't have done had you solely relied on your bike. It is not at all unlike someone using an ebike to assist their tour: you couldn't do what you wanted to do solely with a pedal powered bike, so you did something that allowed you to cheat on the distance.

Originally Posted by alan s
This is part of bike touring. Most, if not all, people would agree. All bike riding was done under my own power, but transporting the bike, gear and myself was not possible door to door without using other means of getting around.
I'm sure we'd agree on the getting there and getting back bit. To me, it is a bit hypocritical to bash on others for using an ebike to extend their range/speed/abilities, when you use a train in the middle of your tour not even putting in that 70% effort that an ebike would require.