View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 05:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I will address some of your points, as follows:

Originally Posted by 3speed
... there's no way I would buy a bike for touring that doesn't have standard 9mm drop-outs....
There are replaceable dropouts, mine came with the standard 135mm dropouts. They are each held in with two M4 screws. (I did learn the hard way that the M4 screws should use some threadlocker to keep them from unscrewing from vibation, but that is a different story.) If you need to buy the other dropouts, that is a one time change that you would have to make to the frame with common tools.

.... The tapered head-tube is a deal breaker for me(I like a common 1 1/8"). That means I need a special fork or a special headset. And it just looks ugly if you put a regular fork on it with an adapter on the bottom. ....
The tapered headtube is a recent change, mine is cylindrical. I have no further comment.

... The flat mount disk rear break is a disaster and a totally f***** situation if you have a problem outside of the US or large parts of western Europe. ....
In my case there was a mixup, I expected a older style standard disc mount, they shipped the flat mount to me. I told them I needed a mount that would work with the brake I ordered based on the frame that had been described to me. They shipped me a post mount for free since there was a communication error on their part. The mount is replaceable, it takes three M6 screws, see photo. I believe the mount is Aluminum, not Titanium. In the photo you can also see the conventional hub quick release, not through axle. Since the different mount was provided to me for free, I do not know if there would be a cost to change it on an initial order or not.

... The cable stops on the head-tube, while not a Huge deal, are a disadvantage to me. I'd prefer to see a standard Shimano style town-tube cable stop. ....
We agree on this point.

Maybe "about the last choice" is a little strong, as there are plenty of worse options, ...
... For my mountain bike, sure, I'll run hydraulic disk breaks, 650b wheels, etc. For my touring bike, I want it to be common components that are available pretty much anywhere.
I would totally own one for a US touring bike, but not internationally. I don't own a home with a garage where I can keep 10 bikes, so I try to just have one tourer in the collection.
These are all valid points.

I want my touring bikes (I own three) to be robust, reliable, easily repairable and use common easily replaceable parts. I built it up using readily available parts, such as eight speed cassette and bar end shifters, I used a rear derailleur that Shimano built in the 1990s, super reliable square taper crankset and bottom bracket, etc. My brakes are cable operated and use commonly available pads. With a set of cone wrenches, I can easily repack or replace the quarter inch steel ball bearings in the rear hub.

In my opinion the only uncommon part that I used that could be hard to source is the front derailleur, as it uses an unusually large diameter seat tube. And the only part I used that could be difficult to repair is the front hub, as SP dynohubs are not user serviceable.

Would I use this bike for international travel? Since I have three touring bikes and the other two have 26 inch wheels, and one of those has S&S couplers, I would choose the S&S coupler bike first for international travel. (I have done two international trips on that S&S bike already.) But I would certainly trust my Lynskey to perform well if I did take it to another country.

But being a 700c bike that has a maximum of 35 or 37mm wide tires, I would only bring the Lynskey on a trip where I expected good quality paved roads for most of the distance that I expected to cover as my 26 inch touring bikes would likely perform much better on lessor quality roads.

Regarding Lynskey, I did have several problems with their customer service staff, but once the bike was built and rideable, the delays and miscommunications rapidly became a memory that is being forgotten over time.

Most people do not own more than one touring bike, so in that regard your points are quite valid, you want one do everything bike for touring. Since I own three touring bikes with different specifications for different types of conditions, I am clearly in the minority.