pstares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tyre advice for MTB used mainly on-road

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on tyres please -

I have a Scott Voltage MTB from circa 2002-2004 which, having not been used much for most of its life, has started having a lot of use recently in these times of COVID.

It’s still on the original fit tyres as supplied which are 26x1.95, whilst they are quite usable and not perished or any issues like that, they are off road tyres and most of the riding I am doing is on road with the occasional bit of gravel / towpaths etc so was looking for something better suited with lower resistance.

I have been given a set of Specialized Nimbus road / hybrid tyres (26x1.50) which are a few years old and lightly used, they fit the wheels perfectly but my current inner tubes are too big.

Whilst we’re not exactly talking huge sums of money to buy smaller inner tubes, before I splash out I wanted to check whether these tyres are a good choice for what I need or am I better just putting the money towards some new, wider, hybrid tyres?

In particular I was wondering about tyre width vs ride quality, and how well suited to the occasional gravel or light off-road use these would be?

Thanks
Pete