View Single Post
Old 09-08-20, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Trolley/tram tracks are to be treated with extra care on any tires, that's a thing that everyone who commutes where they are present has to learn better sooner than later, and better not from one's own experience.

I have made it an instinct to adjust my trajectory to cross the tracks at a wider angle whenewer I need to. I think there has been only one instance in 5 years of commuting in city with tram tracks, when I rode along on a track for a short bit: I was riding along a cobbled street with tram tracks in the middle where roadworks were still in progress. The street wasn't closed to traffic, but there were several local obstacle zones - and at least one of them was not demarcated properly. I found that out only when I swerved around an obstacle on the side, towards the middle of the street, just to see that there is a 5 ft deep trench dug across the street right in front of me. There were two options - slam the brakes and hope that I can stop before the trench (unlikely on the wet cobbles) or cross the 6-7ft wide trench over one of the 4 tram tracks that were bridging the trench. I doubt I'd pull it off if I'd have any time to think about it, but as it was, I chose the second option without any thought and made it over succesfully before I had a chance to get scared.
Good reminder. Also, wet conditions at night can actually make it harder to see that there are tracks in the road as the lights reflect off the wet pavement.

OK, now I have to tell my trolley track story because I was actually quite adept at crossing them when it happened. I lived in New Orleans in the mid-1980s, and discovered that not only did they wash the streets with water, they actually put soap on the road. I also discovered simultaneously that there is no safe angle at which to cross a soapy train track. The balloon slicks definitely did not help, but I didn't care to repeat the experiment with other tires..
Likes For livedarklions: