View Single Post
Old 06-14-21, 11:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Funny I come across this thread. I hate saddle bags and carry all my tools in my center pocket. I have been on a quest to find and put together something minimal that fit in my pocket but also be "usable" at the same time. By "usable", I meant something that was made for the job and not something that "could" be used in case of an emergency. If it's one thing I can't stand is busting my knuckles or not being able to either reach or get enough leverage because the tool was only meant for emergencies. While delving into this project, I decided to try and cover contingencies as well instead of just being able to limp home.

As far as the "multi-tool". I think the best bet is to look at some "ratchet tool kits" for bikes. There are a few out there such as Topeak that have a very small footprint. I decided on "Prestacycles Ratchet Toolset" with torque capability. This set came with all the bits that I would ever need to include 8mm for servicing pedals. The other thing that made me decide on Prestacycles is that the ratchet has been tested and rated to 60Nm. This is enough to break pedals. Other ratchet systems are not necessarily rated high enough to do all jobs. I had to get the extension and chain tool separate. Anyway, here is my setup....It started off as trying to be minimal, but there was some concessions when factoring in my definition of "usable" and being prepared for contingencies.

I'm running tubeless so my primary is my plug kit with Co2 and backup with a quality mini pump.

Total weight 743 g in a compact neoprene case. I honestly don't feel this at all when I am riding. It's like it's not there.

Items in my kit:

- spare valve cores
- quick link
- spare CR2032's for power meter and/or HR monitor
- Emergency $
- DynaPlug Kit with 5 cartridges
- Gerber Dime Multi-tool (mainly for the pliers and something to cut with)
- PrestaCycles Ratchet System with extension and chain tool. The torque mechanism is rated for 2-10Nm. The Rachet can be used up to 60Nm
- Leyzene Pocket Drive Pro Pump with a Rag
- Spare Valve
- Presta to Schrader adapter
- Tweezers (not really necessary but these are tiny and made from Ti so weighs nothing)
- Leyzene Control Drive C02 System
- Two 16gram Co2 with insulating covers
- Two velcro "zip ties"
- Two tire levers that have nipple wrenches to cover all my wheels and Mavic specific

So this ended up a quasi backpacking tool kit, but it's small enough to carry in my pocket and I honestly don't feel it.