View Single Post
Old 07-12-21, 09:50 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Note - the following answer is based on general information about headsets, not specific to a Renegade.
Originally Posted by ReverendWrong
Ordered a Hellbender 70 from Cane Creek based on those specs (IS42/28.6 | IS52/40-H1), but the bottom bearing doesn't seem to have the same angle and does not fit quite right. Can anyone confirm if I ordered the wrong part? This is my first time replacing a headset. Any suggestions for an alternative to the original Ritchey headset?
Which part doesn't fit right - does the bearing not seat in the headtube correctly, or does the fork not sit against the bearing correctly? If the latter, you probably need to replace the crown race to match the new headset. The crown race is a thin washer, shaped to match the bearing, that sits at the bottom of the steerer tube where it meets the fork crown. I'd get a shop to replace it, especially on a full-carbon fork - shouldn't take them long. A shop will have the right tool to remove the old one and bang the new one into place without damaging the fork.