Old 09-05-21, 11:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have no specific suggestions for a suspension seatpost, but I thought that the youtube video makes a pretty strong case for it if on rough terrain. And my four day trip on White Rim, there were a few times that I had to ride much slower than the others that had good suspension.

Saddles, I find that I need a narrower saddle that is more rounded in the back when using the drops with my drop bars than if I am using a flat bar bike where I do not lean as far forward. Years ago I bought a Brooks B17 which appears to be a favorite for touring, but it was too wide and the back too flat for when I use the drops on drop bars. But if I had a flat bar bike, I would probably like it. I have it on a hybrid bike on my indoor trainer for watching tv in winter.

My point is that for this bike, you should look at saddles as if you were starting from scratch, not as someone that already has a lot of saddle experience because you likely will have a very different posture on the bike.

And if you get a leather saddle, have it broken in and apply some Proofide (both top and bottom) before you do your big ride. But I suggest you try to break it in before applying any Proofide and make sure you do not get it wet until you have applied Proofide. Although Proofide is a good water repellant, you do not want to get the saddle wet in rain, so buy a waterproof cover for it, I carry a cover on the bike with my spare tube at all times.

WD-40, although I would use something different, I will defer to the chemist on that.