Old 09-06-21, 05:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
Tourist in MNS:

I actually have both Shimano pedals already. Didn't know I was supposed to grease it! I'll watch Youtube on How to Do it and buy the plastic tool.
I had a A530 develop a clicking sound, I had a spare pair so I switched that one pedal with the spare. A year later the other side developed a click, so now I had a pair of clicking pedals.

I was sure that the bearings had loosened up so I bought the tool with the plan to adjust the bearings. And by now I had gotten confused on which pedals clicked and which did not, so I had four pedals to work on. Youtube was a great help because it is not intuitive on which pedal is clockwise and which counter clockwise for the tool. In my case, I found that all of my pedals had good tight bearings, did not need to adjust any bearings, so I just added a copious amount of grease and reassembled, with the hopes that it would miraculously fix the clicks. Clicks were gone.

Some mechanics say that when your pedal spins freely, you should add grease. But I prefer to wait for a reason to add grease. If a pedal spins freely, the rear part of the pedal that hangs down is usually the cleat side of the pedal. So if you want to cleat in, you move your foot forward when you put your foot on the pedal. If you want to use the platform side, move your foot to the rear when your foot contacts the pedal. But a pedal that is freshly greased that does not spin freely, that foot movement theory does not work so well when you put your foot on the pedal.

I have managed to get the plastic plug removed from a M324 pedal to add grease. And I have decided that it was enough of a hassle that when those pedals are shot, instead of trying to fix them, they get discarded or donated to a bike charity.