View Single Post
Old 10-04-21, 10:39 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman
How did the 40mm tires do for clearance on your frame? I don't run fenders and interested if I can go a bit wider than 38mm.
I have no issues with the 40mm MSOs, plenty of clearance. There is a noticeable difference in bike height versus the 32mm tires, though.

The stock MSO tires are 30 TPI which are an inexpensive, OEM-only version. I have the 40mm in the standard 60 TPI; more threads means the tire is more supple and they've been fine for most riding, I don't notice the buzz even on the road. Of the tires I've tried, the 32mm Speedmax are my favorite, they have a fairly smooth center with knobs on the edges which works well for most of my riding. However, I got a couple of pinch flats on a ride a few weeks back while heading down a rocky fire road at speed, and I never had that problem on the same trail with the 40mm MSOs, so I'll probably switch back go to those until they're worn, and then maybe try the Speedmax in a wider size.