Old 10-23-21, 09:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would imagine few if anyone here has that bike, but many here have seen similar bikes after they have been used for a while.

Low quality bikes generally have such poor bearing surfaces and are so poorly assembled that bearings disintegrate over time. I’ve often wondered if all the loose and caged bearings were replaced with quality bearings, with adequate grease, and proper adjustment, probably ongoing, if the result would be the same.

It uses a 7 speed freewheel and stem shifters. It would be possible to use friction stem shifters and the bike would function well enough to be ridden, although gravel riding enjoyment might be significantly diminished. The rear axle will probably need to be replaced if it bends, but that is a cheap fix.

Aside from weight and probably low performance. Cheap disc brakes are probably the biggest problem. Even though cheap rims are usually never straight and cheap stamped calipers are not good, replacing the calipers with even slightly better ones is an inexpensive fix.

I’m not sure what can be done with cheap disc brakes other than just replace the system. I would think setup and maintaining the proper gap so the bike will stop would be a nightmare.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-23-21 at 10:12 PM.