Old 01-25-22, 08:38 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Good video, you have put a lot of thought into it. Now the important part. Taking it all out there and learning what works and what doesn't. One of my favorite quotes, and I can't remember where I heard it, is "the race doesn't start, until everything falls apart". Although we aren't talking about racing, I think it applies to about anything.

On the subject of brake selection, I'm with you in part. As I looked at going from my old Surly LHT and panniers, to a Roubaix and frame bags, I had the same idea. Rim brakes were more than good enough from my experiences, plus going to disc brakes actually added a bit more weight. But a couple experiences changed my thinking. First was a crappy, rainy mountain pass decent alongside a buddy with rim brakes ( I had just purchased a bike with discs) He struggled to stop in the rain and fog. I was fine with my disc brakes. Later on a brevet, I broke a spoke, but was able to go on with slight modification. If I had rim brakes, I probably would have had to do without the braking for that wheel. Lastly, I have recently replaced my aluminum wheels with carbon. I've heard some horror stories, (no personal experience), concerning carbon wheels and rim brakes on loaded descents. The bottom line now for me, the last two bikes I have purchased have hydraulic disc brakes. An industry movement for sure, maybe as much to do with marketing, but for consistent braking and ease (hydraulic), I prefer what I now have over the rim brakes. YMMV

The clearance between your back wheel and the seatpost bag may give you some grief as you get out there and put up some miles. According to both Revelate and Apidura, the bags I have tried, I was borderline on the necessary clearance. And eventually ALL the bags I used contacted the rear tire. Of course we are talking about thousands of miles including brevets, ultra-distance races and touring. I eventually went with a Tailfin system for stability.

My experience with a full frame bag was short lived. Although I know of many people who do the type of riding I do that use and like them, I didn't care for the "sail" effect of the full frame bag. I do live and ride in a windy region of the U.S., so your experience may be much different. Add in the water bottle adjustment and I decided to go back with my partial frame bag. Actually, for me, having one easily accessible water bottle is enough. the balance of water can go into my Tailfin (seatpost replacement) bag. If the weather is on the cold side, you may not need to carry as much water and if it is on the hot side, better to keep the extra water (well insulated and not lava hot), within my pack inside the Tailfin bag.

Good luck and hope you can get out there and give your setup a good test!
Thanks for the feedback and all the info you shared! I’ll keep it in mind as I go on my trips