View Single Post
Old 01-29-22, 01:41 PM
Nervous_Jerboa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Classic bike for light urban commuting

Hi, I recently moved to Boston from the rural midwest. I've quickly realized that my car is more of a liability than an asset here and I'd like to do away with it soon. My public transit experience has so far been pretty great but there are always some little gaps where a bicycle would come in extremely handy. Mainly just 1-2 mile trips to pick up groceries, run errands, etc. I don't foresee ever owning wearing lycra anything. Absolutely no judgement here, but I just want something I can hop onto in my jeans and take my time getting where I'm going. I'm 6'5" so frame size may be tricky. As far as budget, I'd like to keep it around $250 or less. I figure I'll invest more in the next bike when I have a better idea of what I like.

So I guess, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? Sizing is kind of a mystery to me still. It seems like every CL ad has a different way of measuring and what each listing considers great for a "tall" rider varies. Also the designation of cruiser, hybrid and road bikes. How much difference is there really? Can I just put cruiser bars on a road bike and adjust it for a more upright position? They seem much more plentiful especially in larger frame sizes. Thus far, there's a Raleigh Sprite 10 speed with a 23.5" frame which looks promising. I think I'd prefer a 3 speed for simplicity, but the price seems fair.

Thanks in advance for any advice