Old 07-26-23, 06:57 AM
kmcallister18

Bikes: 2022 Triban RC 500 - Sora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I would imagine few if anyone here has that bike, but many here have seen similar bikes after they have been used for a while.

Low quality bikes generally have such poor bearing surfaces and are so poorly assembled that bearings disintegrate over time. I’ve often wondered if all the loose and caged bearings were replaced with quality bearings, with adequate grease, and proper adjustment, probably ongoing, if the result would be the same.

It uses a 7 speed freewheel and stem shifters. It would be possible to use friction stem shifters and the bike would function well enough to be ridden, although gravel riding enjoyment might be significantly diminished. The rear axle will probably need to be replaced if it bends, but that is a cheap fix.

Aside from weight and probably low performance. Cheap disc brakes are probably the biggest problem. Even though cheap rims are usually never straight and cheap stamped calipers are not good, replacing the calipers with even slightly better ones is an inexpensive fix.

I’m not sure what can be done with cheap disc brakes other than just replace the system. I would think setup and maintaining the proper gap so the bike will stop would be a nightmare.

John

thank you John for your input. I also just bought this bike, yesterday actually because my budget is cheap right now and I liked the way it looked. I appreciate what you suggested for possible upgrades