View Single Post
Old 09-01-23, 08:56 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I've got a stock 2018 Renegade Exploit - 50/34 front crank, Shimano 105 5801 front derailleur. I'd like lower gears for some gravel climbs, so I picked up a GRX-600 46/30 crank from a coworker. I'm seeing reports of mixed results using the GRX crank with road front derailleurs - has anyone done this with their Renegade? I have the matching GRX derailleur if needed, but it's a braze-on mount and my existing derailleur is a band clamp, so if the current derailleur doesn't work I'd need an adapter. It would be great to know in advance from other Renegade owners if this is likely to work, so I don't install the new crank, find it doesn't work, and have the bike out of commission for a few days while waiting for the adapter to arrive. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I’ve also read reports of road FD with GRX crankset - but I went with a GRX FD when I installed a GRX crank on a Topstone

I used Shimano front derailleur band adapter SM-AD91 to mount the GRX FD

5800 and 6800 RD’s are rated for 32t max - but in many cases this can be exceeded (as reported by others including above)

R7000 and R8000 RD’s are rated for 34t max

Last edited by t2p; 09-01-23 at 09:05 AM.