View Single Post
Old 11-20-22, 11:19 AM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
I build about 200-500 wheels per year.

Break a TM-1 spring about every 1000 wheels.

Have three TM-1s (one of which is very very old...) and a couple spare spring kits.

Only have to recalibrate every dozen wheels or so - which only takes 5 mins max.

For the current 80-100 bucks it goes for now...it does the job.

There's your trust statement.

We'll now return to our scheduled programming...

=8-)
It is my first tension meter so I am glad to hear that it is up to the task, means I didn't waste my money. Have you had the issue I had where the anodized aluminum plates were rubbing against each other because the pivot screws were loose? Mine was like this when I got it new from Park. I used it this way for a while before I saw the anodize was rubbing off and then realized I might want to tighten the pivot bolts to take the slop out. Was that the right thing to do?

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I am in that range of numbers as well, 300 plus per year for a single client with their own branded line plus loads of one offs.
What I demand of a tension meter is consistency and repeatability.
I have three tension meters, Wheelsmith, Wheel Fanatyk and the TM1.
Without a calibration fixture, the TM1 would be useless to me if I had to rely on the supplied chart but it does give repeatable readings.
Mostly, the TM1 gathers dust as I rely almost exclusively on the Wheel Fanatyk.
Thanks for mentioning the Wheel Fanatyk brand I didn't see it when I was searching for wheel tools. Looks like they have some nice stuff. I'm sure they'll get some of my money at some point!
Likes For Kevinti: