Old 11-20-22, 11:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,991 Times in 2,664 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDutchBiker
Good things to think about.
I like the frame a lot, but it's not stiff enough for 'real' bike touring. It also doesn't fit front roller packs – as it has a suspended fork. I like it for day tours (max 80km) and some bike holidays (daily not more then 80km) for a week. Most of the time during the year I'll use it for groceries and errands.

I've just compared a shopping list – with a full Deore set at €279,00 (separate items) and a full Deore XT above €500. For my usage, a difference that I find too big.

Thanks for the infos regarding the difference between MTB/Trekking

On my original shopping list: do I miss any lubes/grease/other things that are necessary for a proper installation? Hope I got most covered with Dynamic's Assembly Paste.
Swap out the fork to something that can handle a low rider rack if you want that.

I guess I look at it long term so if you are using the bike with some regularity and enjoy it then yeah XT for an extra $200ish not a big leap

Is your bike carbon because from what I did from my search that paste is carbon paste and you really just need grease, I personally like Phil Wood Grease but any automotive or bicycle specific grease should do the trick. Friction paste is really just for the interface of carbon components and maybe for certainly slippage issues but not a good replacement for grease or anti seize which you could also use if you needed to (but I really only use that with titanium and you don't have to if you are good with maintenance)

Now (jokingly) I have to figure out if my touring bike is stiff enough for touring. It is steel I don't worry or care about it. Unless I have a really noticeably flexible frame I wouldn't worry and if I did I would worry if I had frame damage.
Likes For veganbikes: