View Single Post
Old 12-08-22, 01:54 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
eBay dreamland asking prices should never be used as "selling prices". Highest ebay SOLD price in the last year was $270. Next highest was $177.

I use a 50% of ebay pricing for my local sales. So I would be at about $140, after a complete refresh.

EBay obviously has a lot of fees, and in addition, sellers will get a 1099 (income tax form). So I feel I am about even on a local sale at half price.

To those that want to use ebay prices as a guideline for sales, I suggest you get access to Terrapeak, which will give you the last 12 months of ebay sales.

To me, either the 1983 with the biplane fork, or the ~ 1987 with the smoked chrome frame and roller cam brakes are the best High Sierras. In the end, its a Giant made Schwinn, nothing really special about them.

Like pretty much any of the decent MTBs from that time frame, the value of the parts far exceed the value of the entire bike.
Many thanks. This is very helpful info. I took a class on how to sell on Ebay at my local city college, and that was enough to get me to give that up.

Most of the bikes I sell here are essentially beater bikes that have been completely rebuilt and have excellent mechanical bones.In other words, look really bad but ride great. Just sold a rebuild bike yesterday and the buyer was "surprised at how well it shifted and braked". I explained the complete rebuild. A lot of people in this area like having a good bike in disguise, and ride there high end bikes on the trail.
I agree, the bars are the coolest piece on this bike. The micro shifters, all metal are excellent too. But I don't part out bikes to make money. Just like to get them where they will be ridden and get a little bit of love. Cheers!