Old 01-26-09, 07:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
So they are good quality cable and housing? I ask, because the Walmart stuff seems to fray pretty easily when cut (yes the cutter was sharp and did not have the same effect on a nice stainless cable that I tried after the first one sort of 'unwound' a bit) and the lined housing seemed weak.

I already buy stuff Niagara and just ordered some bar wrap from PBK. I was looking at the cable sets, but was unsure and didn't.
I cut mine with a Dremel tool. Definitely not the WalMart stuff. The shifter housing is 4mm and the cable is smaller. The brake housing is 5mm and the cable is bigger. The brake cables are sort of pre-cut, so you want to make sure you're not using the rear to do the front, as it's about half as long. The kit includes a RD cable in the 4mm size, too. I like to use a looser RD housing, so I used excess cut from the rear brake cable housing.

I've found little difference with it in installing, it's not as slick and lubed as the Jagwire or Shimano sets I've used, but then again, it's 1/3 the cost.

I put a set on my 1983 Centurion Turbo with Shimano RSX STI's, and this afternoon, another set on my 1988 Centurion Ironman Carbon with Campagnolo Chorus Ergo's. Both mounted just fine. Make sure you're using the right ends, and don't cut off the end you need. (Been there, done that)

I also wrapped my Ironman in some 2.99 wrap from PBK, the blue/yellow cork. It went OK, the stuff is comparable to other cork, no problem. I used it because it was cheap, and I'm likely to swap it out next year by this time, if I change tire color, etc. That's my gig.