View Single Post
Old 01-23-21, 10:07 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
Headlight working? Your lucky its got air in the tires. They did spring for some cheezy streamers and some Hunt Wilde grips off some old Huffy I suppose.

There's a few local seller with the same marketing theory lately, run of the mill bikes from the 60's or 70's marked up to $800 or more claiming them to be 'classics'.
I can understand it on CL, the ads are free, but some yahoo is paying to advertise that ladies Raleigh at that price expecting a buyer.
That costs money, so does the BIN tag and price.

A number of years ago there was a guy selling what amounted to complete junk on fleabay, it turned out that those ads were his way of selling and shipping contraband under the guise of an eBay sale.
It got figured out when someone's kid bid and paid for the item unknowingly and received a surprise in the mail.

Years ago 'people' would to sell rocks or old lug nuts for $5 at various events, buy a rock, get a free beer.... You were allowed to sell rocks, but not beer. They sold a lot of rocks. It was right after they banned selling beer at the events. They weren't selling beer, they sold rocks, the beer was free. Perfectly legal.
My guess is ads like that bike have something similar going on.
My Dunelt (since stolen) was purchased for $50.00 with new tires on it!

I removed some parts I didn't like (kickstand etc) and the original seller came back and bought them.....
Go figure

as stolen....