View Single Post
Old 01-26-21, 05:59 AM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 27inch
The one I'm looking at is brown, with the decal style similar to a 69-70 Sports model but with 27" wheels, and a 23 1/2" frame size.
The same seller has a black one just like it, both have 1969 dated S5 hubs.
The fenders look like the round top fenders used on a rod brake model, but in dark brown metallic.
At first I was taken back by the price but after looking on fleabay and seeing what a few S5 hubs and shifter belcranks sold for there I see where he came up with the price. The worst thing about the bike is that its been sitting and its got the typical rust issues. Nothing structural, just rusty spots all over the fenders and on all the hardware.
I'd sort of just assume it were a three speed, I've had a few S5 bikes in the past and really never saw the need for the added two gears.
If it were cleaner, I'd have likely just forked over the cash because it fit me but the rusty bits just looked like too much work and if its a made up combo, I might as well just build one myself from an old clunker.
I've considered building up something similar with an AW hub, a pair of wider alloy 27" rims and an old road frame but all the road frames I've got lying around are for 700C wheels. Also, finding 32/40h rims might be tough too.
I just looked at an early Sprite 27" here that's got the tubular fork crown, 32/40 wheels, and a 5 speed hub, the bike is a mess with a locked up rear hub and no shifters, but its got the full length cg and Sports style cranks. If it weren't for the round top fenders giving it away, it would pass for a sports at a distance. The decals are the same as on a Sports model except for the 'Sprite' on the dt.
It even had pump pegs on the frame. I've heard that the Sprite 27 bikes were just Grand Prix models with fenders, but the tubular fork crowns, pump pegs, and more laid back angles tell me that at least the early 27" models were a stand alone model.
I did see one ladies model a while back with a three speed coaster brake hub and no front brake. It was an extra small frame but still had 27" SA 32/40h rims and the round top fenders.