View Single Post
Old 10-20-22, 09:55 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe.

While I can credit Surly for bringing they fat bike to market, they have since lost their way. Personally I think we have reached an evolutionary peak on mountain, road and fat bikes. There really isn't much to improve upon. Geometry has been dialed it, gearing is dialed in, hub spacing and thru axles are dialed in, disc brakes, electronc shifting, tires of all width to cover road, gravel, dirt trails and snow. I don't really think QBP/Surly has any gaps to fill and there aren't many fans of steel bikes anymore. They are there, but not in big numbers. That and over the past few years they have been discontinuing products that put them on the map.
You clearly don't spend a lot of time reading posts around BF ... the love of steel is very real on the forums!

My current bikes include: 4 steel frames (including new tandem); 3 AL frames (selling one in the spring); 1 CF. IME CF is great but big $$$; AL affordable, but it's too harsh; and steel is affordable and offers a great ride.

That said, you do you! Go ride whatever makes you happy ... cause I'm gonna keep on lovin' Surly and steel.