Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Sleep

My apologies in that this isn't a specifically biking related question, more of a curiosity.

I have traditionally been an 8 hour a night guy. I get tired, go to bed, one wake up about halfway through for a bathroom break and no trouble going back to sleep for ~8 hours total time. The past several months I have been waking for the early morning potty and then completely unable to go back to sleep again. Almost driven to be awake. Not specifically that I have anything to do or am mind racing or stressing over anything, just...awake.
I don't really feel like it is troublesome to me on the short term but when this happens a few nights in a row I tend to get a bit cranky and then end up having a sleep night in excess of 10-11 hours.

I recall my grandmother telling me years ago that she had developed a pattern in her 50's where she rarely slept long periods at a time and developed a habit of doing a "two sleep" thing. She would sleep a few hours late at night and then again in the afternoon. It seemed to work out for her. I understand that our sleep needs change as we age, I just wonder if this is common for y'all as well?