View Single Post
Old 03-03-20, 04:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
A friend gave me a bike someone had abandoned, which was a custom made Softride model. The seat is on a long bar cantilevered out from near the headset, and that functions more or less like a suspension seat post; and it has a suspension stem.

I rode it around a bit and did one 200k brevet on it. Bouncing on the saddle didn't bother me much as long as I kept my pedal stroke even, and it quickly taught me to do that. I did not like the suspension stem, which had some play in it, but it was just an annoyance. The worst was that I could not take my weight off my feet, and there was no suspension on the pedals; so my feet took a pounding.

While I'm on the subject of suspension, I also tried an old Moulton. I didn't like it much, but that's another story.

I came to the conclusion that big fat tires are the best form of suspension.