Old 11-20-21, 10:30 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
Clipping in won't be an issue. We haven't had held standing starts in the UK because of Covid, and even though all the rules have been lifted, most club events don't have a pusher-offer just because it's one less volunteer you need. I haven't ridden an open since all restrictions have been lifted, so not sure about those. Regardless, I'm used to clipping in. I'm not new to group/pack riding, they just tend to be more social rides in no more than a group of 12 or so. Depending on the group, we might practice a bit of a chaingang. But for the past 18 months, I've mostly been riding with the same people at a sociable pace on anything from 30-140 mile social rides, with many cafe and pub stops (and a few bikepacking adventures). Even though it's a tight group, it's with people I know well, there's no competitiveness, and our actions are predictable. It's a cat 3/4 women's race, so there aren't likely to be a massive number of riders (capped at 25). It's just a bit of an unknown for me. I've ridden up at the track a few times (my coach has weekly sessions on it), and have a few more coming up to really get used to it. I don't know why I'm so worried. It's likely to be about 20 riders, and I've done plenty of mass start events- the biggest being about 700 people (event called Chase the Sun, held on the summer solstice. 205 mile ride across the UK and everyone starts together- and the group stayed as one for a good 35 miles).
This to me is significant. If you're doing an 80 rider race, there's a lot more "pack dynamics" with significant shelter from the wind, significant accordion effect in corners, etc. It's also a LOT more forgiving, so if you have a moment of difficulty, if you are overgeared or out of position or something, you have some cushion to make up for the mistake. In fact, for me, I consider any field under about 50 riders to be small and therefore challenging. Anything under 30 is extremely challenging.

So based on a 20 rider group, Cat 3-4 women, I'd think of the following more specific things:
1. It's absolutely crucial to be sheltered. The strongest riders will be substantially stronger than the weakest, since the range will be from "almost a 2" or "should be a 2" to "I just got my license".
2. Gaps are deadly. If a gap opens up a couple riders in front of you, and the rider/s don't look particularly energetic about closing it (tired, looking down, stays in saddle even when accelerating) then that rider may be over their limit. Get around if you can and get back into the field.
3. Inevitably there will be the big surges, maybe out of a corner or just as the wind changes. When these surges happen you need to make sure you're one of the energetic ones.
4. Watch out in tailwind sections. That's where the draft is less significant, so if the pace goes up a lot (it will naturally go up a bit), and you're already in trouble from an earlier bit of race, the tailwind section can finish you off. In windy crits with a tailwind section, it's always the tailwind section that sees me go off the back. I can shelter in a headwind fine, where I need 100w to keep up with guys going 400w, but if they do 400w into the tailwind section I might need 300w to stay with them.
5. Most women's races end up being a "watch each other and wait for the move" kind of races, at least around here. This is because everyone is being told that it's absolutely crucial to be sheltered (lol). That means don't get caught behind the riders that lose the wheels early on. And then it might actually be boring as the race plods along. When the excitement starts then you need to be on.
6. Be aware of the shape increases in pace. You should respond, you don't necessarily need to be the one chasing, but the sensations of making a sharp move are very different from the efforts on a sustained climb or ride.

If you find yourself to be one of the stronger riders, then make the race more difficult. Push in the tailwind. Push in a crosswind (if wind is hitting you from the right side, move to the left curb and go hard). When riders ease up for some course feature (turn, hill, wind change, etc) make a dig.

If you're off the front in a break, don't pull more than 20 pedal revs at a time. It's sort of arbitrary but most riders can pull 20 revs and still be good enough to get back on after pulling off. Better too short a pull than too long.

I have a feeling the endurance will be absolutely fine. It'll be the sharp pace changes that will challenge you.

You say "track" but it means a closed circuit, not an actual velodrome? Like there is a closed circuit course at a track but there is also the "track", aka velodrome.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: