Old 11-28-21, 07:18 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KatieC
I ordered a set of 45 Nrth Gravdal tires for my bike, and they are advertised as tubeless ready. I'm not very familiar with tubeless tires, and this is the first set I would own that is tubeless compatible. I am wondering if the tire sealant used with tubeless tires would freeze in cold temperatures and not be functional anymore. Does anyone have experience using tubeless tires in sub-freezing temperatures? I am perfectly happy to run them with tubes, but the benefits of tubeless would be nice if there is no risk.

Stans should be good down to -20F. I never rode at that temperature. There's always a risk, whether riding with tubes or tubeless. If you get a flat and the tire unseats, what a pain trying to inflate sometimes. If u carrying only 1 or 2 CO2 and no pump, you might be walking back. Actually if the tire unseats, a small portable pump may not even be able to inflate the tubeless tire. What I did do for cold weather riding is install air liners inside the tubeless tires.Theoretically you should be able to get back home on a flat with the liners installed. I use the Vitorria brand. They make diff sizes for road and mtb.