kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
...The world has definitely changed since I last rode a brevet. I kinda like brevet cards and the occasional info control (sort of like a mini scavenger hunt), but wonder if I will need to buy a GPS to get with the program again.
Originally Posted by unterhausen
What I have found is that RBAs are getting worse at making accurate cue sheets. Find out if the route designer rides with a GPS. Especially on something like a 1200k...
I can understand why someone might prefer the simplicity of cue sheet navigation, but it's becoming a very small minority, and making a good cue sheet is a lot of extra effort for the organizers compared to publishing a gps route. You have to pre-ride the course with the cue sheet, make notes along the way, update the cue sheet when you get home and print copies for the riders. With a gps route you can just drive the route to make sure no roads are closed and publish the route on rwgps. It's hard to justify all the extra effort for the cue sheet if nobody is going to look at it. I would definitely let the RBA know if you plan on using cue sheet navigation, and someone may put a bit more effort into it. I've done a lot of pre-rides and cue sheet updates over the years and don't mind doing it if someone is going to actually use it, but I'll skip it if I think everyone is going to use the gps route anyway.

I used cue sheets for a long time, then I got a gps as a back up and now I just use the gps. I thought I would miss the cue sheet navigation, but I really don't, especially at night.
Likes For kingston: