NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Neil, you can go back and just read the thread if it matters. I did and that's why I posted what happened, who was told what, and what transpired. If you persist in a different version of what is still there to be read what can anyone say?
One can say that you're being selective with the truth. It was clearly suggested that the people saying that motors have no place here were trolls, and that they should be banned from this discussion. And in fact one or two people seem to have disappeared. And you called me a jerk, as I recall, and others were being called dickheads.

I don't think anyone called you a troll. I believe you are arguing in good faith even if I don't agree with your position and that is why I am engaging with you. It's personal in the sense that we are addressing each other but your right to participate is not in question. It is just hard to reconcile the disparity in what you advocate and what you claim for yourself.
Again, you appear to have a weak grasp of language. Read this very carefully: Discussing whether x has a place on the forum is not the same as discussing x. I am within my rights to argue that x is off-topic. Telling me that since I say x is off-topic, therefore anybody has the right to discuss x, is simply nonsensical.

The discussion is a bit "more" than usual because you actually are someone who can change policy as is being advocated by some here. You have exercised that power to effect a whole community so I think it is fair to question the how and why here. Did you conduct a vote to see what the prevailing sentiment was? Was there any consultation and if so, did you collect feedback from those who would be marginalized? Would a counter sentiment have swayed your decision or would you simply do what you did because it is your website? I also think it's fair to ask, seeing as you have what you want in your community, why you feel the need to change a community you claim yourself seldom to visit. Why the disinterested is so interested.
No, I did not conduct a vote or poll. My website is not a democracy, as the site owner I make decisions every day about what goes and what doesn't. I regard it as a rather basic and self-evident tenet of bicycle touring that it does NOT involve external motor power of any kind. I do take input from the community, but sometimes I just take what is patently obvious and run with that.

I am not a regular member of your community. What would your response be if I started frequenting your forum advocating that CGOAB should include E bike tour related threads. Would I receive the same degree of tolerance (freedom to continue speaking) or would I be asked to leave?
If you persisted in your campaign after being told my policy on the matter, then yes, you might be asked to leave. I generally ask people who are being a pain in the butt to leave the site, because I don't have time for endless jousting matches with people who will obviously never change their minds (and, often, end up just hanging around to post snarky comments at every opportunity). I practice a pragmatic policy of live and let live, wherever possible, but if you give me any crap, then you are thrown out. I have a low tolerance for BS, which is perhaps why I took such a strong position in this discussion here... because it frankly seems like BS to me. People arguing that motors on bicycles is just fine for a bicycle touring forum? What planet are we on? Oh yeah, I forgot - one where social justice warriors like yourself end up muddying the water to such a degree that everything becomes gray. Wonderful.

I'm frankly tired of this now, it's not about the original points any more but just going in circles, so I'd really like to bow out and get on with my life. Thanks.

Neil

Last edited by NeilGunton; 07-18-16 at 06:26 PM.