Thread: 2020 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 08:31 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I did a pre-ride for the second 300K I'd designed to start in my home town, this one is much hillier than the one that goes down to Lake Erie... this one is called the Nassagaweya 300 and it briefly dips down to Lake Ontario before heading back into the rolling hills of the Niagara Escarpment. It was pretty warm and humid last Saturday when I did this ride, I started at 6am with a slight SW wind helping me along but that wind ended up being a real pain by the end of the day. I tweaked something in my knee at the last control in the aptly named Hillsburgh so I rode the last 80km in agony, and I even cut off 8km to get home quicker. It's a good route, I ended up with ~2700m instead of ~2200, usually I end up pretty close to what rwgps says but have noticed my bolt recording much lower that my partner's when we ride together. I'm not too worried about it but this 300 felt closer to 2700m so who knows. I might tweak the route a tiny bit since it goes past a really busy conservation area but there's also a grocery store there but there's a few other options for stops so it's not essential. I don't know if I'd put this on the schedule in the summer, it was pretty tough with half the ride being over 30C and very muggy. I like the heat but I know a lot of people aren't into it... who knows what I'll cook up for next year. I am hoping to get a 400 I designed ridden this year but I gotta watch my knee now. Our club has been given the go-ahead to run an official 400 and 600 so that's gonna be pretty sweet, the 600 starts near me so that's a bonus.

Likes For clasher: