Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I agree it makes sense, but I'm reluctant to soak a new Brooks saddle in water. I have added oil to them - Proofide many years ago, other materials later, and now back to Proofide. That does not mean I am against the note from Bill Boston's site. So "YMMV" does not apply. But several experts on leather restoration and maintenance say leather needs its oils maintaned. The recommended amounts for a bike saddle are only clarified by Brooks, as far as I can see. At least one such experts is @rhm, here on BF and other forums.

On BF in the past we've had MANY discussions on "Brooks! What do I do?" and I have seen many people say they ruined their saddle. I have not seen that procedure before. I have not ruined one, so I think there is something wrong with the "anti-oil" point of view. Which is why I think if the corporate continuity of Brooks endorses a specific product, even if it's sold under their branding, I think it's most likely worth stucking with their product AND their recommended procedure. But I don't think it's the only good way, since quite few others have not had major problems. I've had used ones that sagged deeply as soon as I bmounted them and started riding, and I have two Team Pro selects of which one is too soft and the other too hard. Buying off ebay or even from List members can be a crap shoot. What I like are the older Brooks B17 Select for my wife's bikes, and a Brooks Swallow Select for trainer-riding. The Swallow started out hard as a rock due to its thickness (the Select leather) and its folding (the Swallow design), but it has a good shape and is starting to be a little resilient.

For my riding the biggest problems with a Brooks Pro and the B17s is the limited capability for setback, unless the seat tube is laid back at least to 70 degrees. The Swallow has the widest portion a few cm closer to the cantle compared to the others.

It does not say to soak it.
The cloth should be damp but not so soaking wet that it drenches your bike. Then, just before you ride, take your thumbs and knead the area where your ischial bones will hit in order to start softening the leather. Ride an hour or two, with the washcloth OFF.
The saddle will get oils from your body, and like a nice pair of shoes, you just polish it