View Single Post
Old 01-25-15, 06:47 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SimplySycles1
Let me tell you about two strong riders / racers getting a tandem. We are both tall so it was a long CL search that netted us a 450.00, 19 year old Trek. We figured nothing to lose at that price. The experience and feel was so different we could not tell if it was DA or 20 year old XT. We went through the same learning curve as a 4500 bike. My wife's a stomper and I am a spinner. It all of a sudden you could not do either. Everything was hard, experienced riders make the worse teams. We each have our own way of riding. Look over your shoulder, nope, grab a bottle, not withou a public anouncement, stretch your back no handed, reach in your pocket, banged on the helmet from behind for hitting a bump. Few thousand miles later we love it. So if you are looking for advise, rider with other tandems from day one. They know all the tricks, how ever they learned them. It is a very different experience. Why do you think there are so many unused tandems for sale, don't foloow my path and learn everything the hard way.also put away the Cat 2/3 mindset unless you are trying to burn some singletons off your wheel as my wife encourages, there is no hurry on a tandem. I can't pm but if you wanna contact me wooba.flores@gmail.com
Interesting to read that skilled riders have the same frustrations learning to ride as a team. I would have thought the smooth pedaling of a good rider would have helped more than you mention. We are the opposite of cat 2 racers and after many miles we both have learned to:

Look over our shoulders unannounced,
grab bottles with public announcement,
and reach in our pockets all the time, and
I stretch my back no handed - well until my stoker says to stop that.

For new riders reading this thread we are not special. Experienced teams have to talk much less. There is a learning curve but it is a rewarding trip and in addition to the above it is neat to both act without a word exchanged. Every once in a while the bike is like a Ouji Board and we both believe that we feel the other accelerating through the sync chain so we each work harder so as to hold up our end only to laugh about it later.

Last edited by waynesulak; 01-25-15 at 07:00 AM.