Old 05-21-19, 09:12 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'd think you want to use heavier weights and focus on the 1-5 rep range if strength is your goal. True? Perfect if cycling is your primary sport since you get useful strength without unnecessary bulk. First, I think its time for a new Spring titled thread, don't you agree? Although at this point it won't be for very long since summer's only a month away so maybe just skip ahead?
I do heavier weights, especially for when I'm strength training, but there's a difference between strength training and power training. I like incorporating power training for maintaining good sprinting skills, which I see as very important while cycling on the roadways.

Here's a basic breakdown between strength and power training. https://us.humankinetics.com/blogs/e...rance-training

You can train muscular power by incorporating explosive exercises after seeing initial strength gains. Plyometrics training is a form of jump training in which you exert maximal force in short intervals, which has been shown to effectively increase leg power. Usually exercises are quite short but fairly explosive. An example of a plyometrics exercise is 6 to 8 high tuck jumps followed by a rest and then repeated twice more. If progressive overload is applied here, the frequency of the jumps may increase from 3 to 4 bouts and the number of repetitions may increase from 6 to 8 jumps, to 8 to 10 jumps, and so on.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Anyway, back to the machine. I don't like it, since its limited to your upper body strength. Although I have used it albeit solely as a rehab for my shoulder. But I know its used as described since there's one of them at the university gym.
Upper body needs exercise too, but the way I do the exercise, my legs are very much involved (since I'm standing on an 8-inch platform) and I could isolate my lower body further by simply not pushing up with my arms after standing up. But, I like the full-body exercise.