Old 07-25-19, 09:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I did my last BB without torquing it, and from majority of the videos I watched on it, majority of them did it hand tight. Nobody seemed neurotic about torque there from what I have seen. How important is it? Anyone wants to add to it, educate away please.

I honestly don't know what this means exactly. "preload amount"? Explain please. Thanks
I didnt use a torque wrench, I have a car one, but in the end, I just followed the recommendations of mechanics I know to really tighten the "tighten hard " side, but to be honest, I did this about 3 years ago, so maybe dont recall all the stuff---again, go to Parks tools videos and get proper instruction.

preload--basically, if you go the outboard route, hollowtech 2 or whatever, you need the special tool to tighten the outer ring things, and on the one side, you adjust the tension that puts just the right amount of tension onto the bearing, just like a headset or whatever.

too tight, it doesnt spin freely, too loose and there is play

again, if you dont know what youre doing, get informed and pay a good mechanic a small amount to show you how to do it.
Like all bike mechanics stuff, it aint rocket science, but it depends on what mechanical doing stuff yourself background you have, and or if youre the type of person who can do "gettng your hands dirty" stuff and have the ability to learn, some people dont, so only you know if yoiu can prep properly and learn or whatever, but really, it isnt building a Saturn V here.
I always figure that if I can bumble my way through stuff successfully, anyone can.