Thread: Dry Battery
View Single Post
Old 03-09-22, 10:41 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You need to clean and re-lubricate all bearings

Any bike this old probably needs to have all of the greased bearings cleaned and re-greased. I've fixed up many bikes far newer than this one where the grease had gotten so hard it no longer served any purpose. There is a tool that will remove the cotter on a cottered crank without damaging the cotter. However since cottered cranks went out of favor in the early 1970s it is unlikely that any newer bike shops would have the tool. It is interesting you brought up the Yellow Jersey bike shop. I know they had this tool because I used it when I worked in the shop when it first opened as a bike co-op in Madison in the early 1970s. There is one person who was still with the store through the three locations it occupied. His name is Andy Muzi and when the bike shop changed from a co-op to a regular store he became the CO of the organization. He knows a heck of a lot about old bikes and would be a good person to contact with questions you may have.