Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
There will be a clean experiment soon that involves a die hard flat pedal cyclist (i.e. myself) learning to use half toe clips. Not sure if anyone will be able to draw any conclusions from it, but I will share the results. I guess it will take time for me to adjust to the new technique, might take a few weeks.
Won't make a noticeable difference. The only way to test foot retention is to experience it, i.e. rat trap pedals, clips and straps. When I stop, I always put my right foot down. So on the left side, I tighten the strap down and thread the strap through the buckle, nice and neat. On the right side, in town I'd leave the strap loose, but out on the road I'd pull up on it so it was tight. To stop, I'd reach down and touch the buckle so it was loose and easy to pull my foot out. I used the tennies of the day, but anyway something with soft soles so the rat traps bite into the sole. If you can pull your foot out, it's not foot retention.

Makes a lot of difference. On hard seated accelerations, I push and pull all the way around the circle. Hill sprints, I pull up hard. Riding normally, I pull back at the bottom and about 30° up the backstroke. At the top, I push forward. Those hamstrings don't have to be just along for the ride. Mine are maybe bigger than my quads. OOS, I like to ride in the drops with my toes pointed down. I don't pull up normally, but I do pull my foot over the top. One gets used to being able to do anything with one's feet, no problem.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/MKS-180920202.../dp/B001GSSNH2
Note the rollers at the top of the toe strap buckles in the package.