View Single Post
Old 12-31-22, 07:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts
Well, I'll chime in with the same answer I've had for years, same answer on the other threads. No matter how many good bikes pass trough my hands this one always stands out! It not that old, it's a pretty modern build, it's a usually not thought of brand, and it's an absolute gem on the road.

My mid 90's Giordana XL Super with a modest Campagnolo Athena 11 speed setup and Shamal wheels.

There's just a feel about it when I riding it, a connection, a joy, bliss, that none of the other bikes give. I mean I have chased after so many nice bikes and enjoyed so many yet nothing has ever topped this one. I've let a Colnago Super, two De Rosa's, a Basso Gap, Schwinn Paramount, Serotta CSI, countless Italian Lemonds, and many, many others go while still keeping this beauty. I have two David Kirk beauties, a Davidson Impulse, Tetra Pro, Pinerello Monaviso, a Coppi, 15 lb CAAD 8 Optimo, the Paletti and many others that are exceptional bikes but pale in comparison to the ketchup/mustard machine. I went so far as to pick up and identical framed XL Super and built it up 2 lbs lighter with "better" parts only to have it fall short on road field. I truly, truly believe this one was forged by the bike gods themselves at birth from the way it feels when I ride it. Ok.... maybe that 's the morning coffee talking but it's truly one fine ride, LOL!

I do have the new to me Olmo Forma and Merckx Corsa 01 to give a try in the spring. Maybe one of them will beat it. I also finally pulled the trigger on a Gianni Motta Personal 2001r so we'll see how that does when built up. But for now this Giordana is my best and for years now nothing has "dethroned" it.

Everything in this room bows in respect to it, plain and simple.

....and the five other bikes scattered around the place.