Old 05-22-20, 10:09 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
RiddleOfSteel Very well put! I personally read Tolkien and Kipling and watch birds and do landscape painting and write poetry and carve leather things, and all sorts of innocuous stuff, as you would put it... And indeed, I am quite attracted to that aspect of Rivendell bicycles. If I had to choose the sort of bicycle I'd want to take for a long ride through a beautiful landscape, it would probably function and look much like a Rivendell - maybe it would be a Rivendell. I'd want to be sitting mostly upright with my eyes on the scenery, relaxed and with a smile on my face and no worries about how far I'd gone or when I'd be where. I wouldn't even want to have to think about the bicycle much.

But I also love military vehicles and hot rods and flashy logos and am always trying to ride or run a bit further or faster, and that makes me admire bicycles just like the ones you build up! Riding a bicycle that can help give me an edge over myself yesterday only means I'll be able to push along that much more.

Thankfully, there's room for both worlds in most stables, even when they are as small as mine!

-Gregory
Thank you! And for others reading, I fully acknowledge humans as multi-faceted. We can like \m/ metal and Mozart. I like plenty of serious stuff of course, but the innocuous or whimsical can be so refreshing. We do not a world full of Riddles, trust me. If, one day, I can no longer ride the drop bars of my Paramount, I will lament the setting of that sun while smiling at the rising of another: swept back bars with mounted shifters. The body is happy; and being able to see literally everything around me with ease, the mind and spirit are happy as well.