Old 03-13-22, 03:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My last five week bike tour was 3 years ago, pre-covid. I brought my S&S coupled bike with Rohloff hub, so that bike does not compare to the types of bikes you might need to work on. But to pack my bike for shipment, I have to completely disassemble it, remove crank arms, fork, etc. The photo is my tool kit that I brought, but the spares are not in that photo. While this is not directly applicable, it might give you an idea on what a former bike mechanic would bring on a five week trip when they do not have a vehicle for support.

Spares, not pictured, were two inner tubes, self adhesive patch kit, medical gloves, one set of brake pads (one set for one wheel, not two), small bottle of thread locker, nuts & bolts & washers, spare shifter and spare brake cable, chain lube, some spare chain links and quick links. Some Emory boards in case I need to file something down. Tire lever. Roll of electrical tape. Spokes of correct length (I built the wheels, I knew what spoke lengths I needed). Zip ties.

Attached to the frame was a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV pump with gauge, not pictured.

I am not counting anything electric here, that was with my electrics kit.

In my previous post I mentioned that in the vehicle that bottom bracket tools, chain whip, cable cutter would also be packed.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-13-22 at 03:27 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: