View Single Post
Old 05-26-22, 09:41 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayrob8888
I have a 2010 Cube Attempt with a the older 10 speed 105 groupset .

I managed to break the rear mech and when in for repair I was told the new 105 rear derailleur isn’t compatible anymore as the new 105 is 11speed .

The workaround was to put a Claris r2000 on which is 8 speed . He assures me it will work perfect . I took it for a short spin and noticed it wasn’t as smooth but did seem to shift across the
10 gears ok

I’m looking for thoughts on this . Is he right or should I source an older 105 rear derailleur and insist on taking the Claris back off ?
He's right. Prior to 2015, Shimano 10-speed road rear derailleurs used the same actuation as 8/9-speed (road and mountain) rear derailleurs. Since you have a pre-2015 10-speed road drivetrain, an standard Shimano 8-speed rear derailleur should be compatible.

Shimano's 11-speed road actuates differently, and new 10-speed road starting with Tiagra 4700 also use the new 11-speed road actuation.

Originally Posted by Jayrob8888
So I won’t out for a longer spin this evening and had quite a few problems. The derailer was a Not changing then jumping 2 cogs . Not coming back up on hills then jumping 2 . Constantly. Chain came off and all 😂. So I think the spacing or something if off as it’s designed for the wider 8 speed cogs ?
If the shift quality has worsened since installation, and you're having issues with the chain being thrown, my first reaction would be to check that the derailleur is installed and adjusted correctly.
Likes For HTupolev: