Old 08-10-22, 10:05 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by amazinmets73
On July 27th I shipped 2 bikes from Dublin, OH to Norwich, CT via bikeflights. I took the boxes to the UPS store and had both shipping labels printed in the store. One box was 28 pounds and the other 36, so I ensured each label was on the correct box. The worker had difficulty scanning the labels; she repeatedly attempted to scan them with no success, then stated "it's fine, I can put them in manually."

Several days later there had been no update from Bikeflights, nor had I received my bikes. Something seemed off, so I consulted my receipt and entered the tracking numbers. The tracking numbers I received were obviously grossly incorrect; they stated that the items had been shipped July 25th and delivered at 10 A.M in Illinois on the 27th (roughly the same time I shipped my bike.) I called the UPS store and they stated they remembered me, but they weren't responsible for any error in shipment and I'd have to call UPS customer service. I called bikeflights and they've opened an investigation, but, as of yet, no strong leads. They suspect that the bikes may have been shipped to an Amazon warehouse in Illinois, because the erroneous tracking numbers now show they were delivered there July 28th. However, they've been unable to reach anyone there to confirm whether the packages are my bikes.

Here's the kicker: The bikes are worth roughly $1,700 combined, but I was cheap and didn't pay for additional coverage, so each box has only the standard $200 insurance. I inquired about the insurance, and Bikeflights stated they typically need proof the bikes were taken into UPS custody or a police report of missing/stolen items.

Any ideas? Did I just learn a tough lesson in regards to underinsuring packages? FWIW, I've patronized Bikeflights numerous times with no issues, which is why I felt comfortable not paying for additional coverage.
this is an UPS issue. There is a chance that the bikes just haven't hit a depot to be scanned but are still in transit thus nothing is wrong. I had this happen where my tracking just says shipping label created but the vendor shipped out the item, yet the item shows up randomly without any scan history. Alternatively, they simply could be lost and in that case you are screwed since you didn't take the additional insurance