Old 11-08-22, 05:52 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
Congratulations and happy birthday! Any advice to your younger self?

I wonder if you could share with forum folks what worked for you over the years to stay in shape? How do you maintain your motivation, avoided injuries, followed specific diet or not, any supplements, vitamins. What was your balance between biking, walking/running, swimming, stretching and weights?
Wow, that's a lot to handle and think about. I will say that for the past 15 years or so, my wife has had a severe, extremely severe, afternoon and evening pain each day as a result of post herpetic neuralgia, from shingles, and has also had a couple of TIA's these last couple of years. So my life is highly medically oriented around her needs, and my exercise habits are also conditioned by my need to be available and supportive.
Given that, at 85 years old, she rides bicycles, participates in aqua aerobics, and walks regularly. She and I ride bikes together in the neighborhood, and occasionally I get an opportunity for a longer ride.
Neither one of us can sleep well unless we've had sufficient amount of exercise. As I dictate this I am on my inside trainer. I
I am a firm believer that you will not do exercises that you don't enjoy. I am also a creature of habit. I have been following exercise regimes of various sorts for many years, and I enjoy the feel of my body when it is in shape. Neither one of us sits much. As far as nutrition, we eat very little red meat, and lots of fruit. My weight is stable, and in fact, I'll have lost 10 lb this last year on purpose to get me down to 165 with a 5 ft 10 and a half inch frame.
It's important to note that maybe 25 years ago I was at 247 lb s.
Lately I've been taking hmb, I'm not sure it does anything for me. I take vitamin c, D3, folate and assorted other daily supplements.
I have had one cold in the last maybe 15 years, no flu, no covid
Personally I suffer from a very rare disease which means that I have bone material in my lungs. However, it hasn't seemed to slow me down much. I also have trigeminal neuralgia as mentioned previously, and the whole list of other things that happens as you get older. But day to day I don't even notice these. Because of my wife's situation, we have far too much contact with the medical world. We had a disastrous experience with an emergency room this last week, and we filed a Medicare complaint along with a state complaint.
That's about it for now thanks for asking. any errors in this post you can blame on verbal dictation that is not yet perfect.

Last edited by gobicycling; 11-08-22 at 05:58 PM.
Likes For gobicycling: